Panel: Empowering emerging nations: Achieving data sovereignty and financial inclusion
November 15, 2023, at 3:40 p.m. – 4:10 p.m.
Join us for a panel discussion on digital sovereignty and financial inclusion. To include 1.4 billion financially excluded citizens in the digital economy, open, instant payment systems connecting entire populations are necessary. However, concerns about digital sovereignty and the risk of digital and data colonialism are growing in African and Asian emerging economies. These nations need control over their technology, data, and hardware infrastructure to protect individuals’ data, enhance competitiveness, and safeguard core values and strategic interests. This is crucial as numerous small African and Asian countries face challenges in achieving inclusive instant payment systems like what larger countries like India have accomplished in this domain.
The panel discussion will explore:
- Challenges of establishing robust digital sovereignty frameworks while enhancing financial inclusion, access, and security.
- Significance of data sovereignty in empowering emerging nations’ financially inclusive ecosystems will be addressed, along with the obstacles encountered.
- Collaborative approaches, technological solutions, and open-source frameworks to facilitate inclusive digital financial services, especially in Africa.
Join us to empower nations in emerging economies and unlock the full potential of the digital inclusive economy.
- Mojaloop Foundation Chair Kosta Peric, Deputy Director of Financial Services for the Poor, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Mojaloop Foundation Advisor Sopnendu Mohanty, Chief Fintech Officer, MAS
- Moderator: Mojaloop Foundation Executive Director Paula Hunter